Tuesday 2 September 2008

Fastest Man on Grass 2008

I think we may have given racing a miss this weekend if it wasn't for me needing a practice in Mark's 8 before the Ladies Nationals. There just seems to have been so many weekends in a row packed with racing and travelling far and wide!

It was nice to have Saturday to do a few jobs at home, make my way down to Lincoln in my own time and then chill-out when i got there. Nigels bar (see pics) was a welcome addition to the event and i have to admit to spending a bit of time in there on Saturday afternoon!

This weekend I was racing the 5 to test the set-up for the Ladies Nationals and also having my first go in Mark's 8 for years! In fact, 2 years ago the nationals it was his old 8 that i raced so this would be the first time i this particular car. I needed to get plenty of practice! With my seat in the 8 there was no way Mark could get in the car so my partner in the car for the weekend was Phil Cooper, and what a good partner he was!

Sunday started off good with a nice win in both cars, i felt much more confident with the 8 straight away. Over the weekend things stayed pretty much the same in the 5 with another heat win, final win and winner of Fastest Saloon on Grass, beating the 7 of Charlotte Pugh. Things got worse in the 8 with a Black Flag for a hige wheelie (see pic), a 5th or something in final, 3rd in Fastest Special on Grass and a big crash in the Fastest Lady on Grass!! I braked hard to avoid someone and spun (my own fault) then got collected by a 7. It hurt!!!

2 very bent wishbones, broken shocker and stearing arm, lots of bruises and aches, and a very demotivated me took a slow and sombre drive home on Monday night. I was ready for giving up, in the 8 at least, and seriously questioning whether to race it at the Nationals. Was it just going to interfier with my confidence in the 5?

No comments: