Sunday 29 June 2008

Background Info

Well grassin has been in my blood since the day i was born. My parents had raced for years at the York Autograss Club, so had many of my uncles, and so too had my grandparents before them.

Mum and dad were and are pretty well known, they've been in the sport for a long time and they've generally been at the front in the classes they raced in. Mum has been more fortunate than dad with her results, winning many a national and BAS (British Autograss Series) title. Dad, always a front runner, tends to be unlucky come the big finals. He's been 2nd at the nationals a few times but finally managed to pull off the BAS class 5 championship in 2006.

In 2000 i raced a mini in ladies class 1 with my brother (Mark) racing it in the juniors. This is where my racing career really started. I was always a front runner in ladies class 1 but it maybe took a couple of seasons to polish off my front wheel drive racing techniques, and also for us to achieve a car on par with the top level class 1 racers. The highlight of my class 1 career came in 2003 where i won my first National Championship and went on to win the prestigious National Champion of Champions race. It's a race that i'll never forget but i'll save all the details of that for another post.

In 2005 mum retired from racing and so i stepped into her shoes to share the 5 with dad. In my first year i won the BAS in that class and was 2nd at the nationals. I have continued to run at the front in class 5 winning the national championships, BAS in my class, and Ladies overall BAS championship.

The class 5 mini that we've had since 2006 is awesome, i love rear wheel drive racing, and i am so fortunate to have a very quick, well built and competative car to race. Thanks must go to dad on that one (and Exon Race Engines for the crackin engine)!

I've raced a couple of other classes alongside the 1 and 5, mainly at the nationals, which have included: a class 4, class 6, and a few different class 8's. This year i'll again compete in class 8 (my bro's) at the Nationals alongside my class 5.

No comments: